Friday, July 29, 2005

 

My last full day in Australia

Soundtrack: "Running Girl" by Ooberman

Good evening this evening.

And I think I shall open this entry with a little something about tea:

Bubble tea is iced Chinese red or green tea shaken with natural juices and puree, first invented in Taiwan in the early 90s. Also known as pearl milk tea, 'chen zhu nai cha,' 'pao pao nai cha' or 'QQ,' to mean the chewy tapioca 'pearls' which are a main characteristic of the refreshing iced beverage.

These pearls are made from cassava plant juice and are so addictive that they've been called the faux opium of the Orient.

Too bloody right. Ever since Melbourne (okay, I got it wrong then. They're Taiwanese, not Korean), I've been addicted to the stuff. I know it's fundamentally wrong, but it tastes so good. Therefore, today, my last full day in Australia, I drank lots and lots of lovely refreshing bubble tea. Mmm. I also ate lots and lots of lovely sushi, and I went to see a film at the IMAX one last time (come on, it is only $6). It was "The Island," and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought that it was going to be. The script was written by Alex Kurtzmann and Roberto Orci of "Alias," which was what made me want to go and see it in the first place. I kept on seeing the trailer and being put off because it said: "From the makers of Armageddon and Pearl Harbor," but once you get past that, it's not too bad. Okay, parts of it are very very violent (unnecessarily, I feel), but the actual concept itself was good. It scared the crap out of me, actually, which is good, so hopefully it'll give a big pious message out to those people who are after designer cloning. I think it addressed the moral issues presented by cloning pretty well, and I hope that it makes people think about it a little more.

So that was Brisbane then, so that was Australia then. Michael and Renee are taking me out to Brekky Creek Hotel tonight for a proper Aussie steak dinner. Apparently, this is some legendary hotel that everybody in Brisbane knows. We shall see.

Normally at this point I'd say that I'm not sure what my internet access is going to be like from here on in. However, this time I do know. Actually, I don't know what it'll be like in Singapore (but my aunty's rich and her son's a major geek so we'll probably have broadband). My dad's internet connection is frustratingly slow, so the blog'll probably be pretty erratic from here on in. I will try and update it, though, and I'll probably be patient and be on the computer every day during the Test matches anyhow. If not, then I'll update it properly when I get home.

Hmm. I should really finish that packing now. Urgh.

Comments:
The trailer for 'The Island' over here said 'From the maker of Armageddon', possibly because 'Pearl Harbor' was so universally panned that they thought it would drive people away.

TCH
 
The standards are so much lower in Australia.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares