Friday, July 29, 2005

 

Sun, sea, Surfers Paradise

Soundtrack: "The Man Who" by Travis

Good morning this morning.

I took a trip to the Gold Coast yesterday, because it's just one of those things that you have to do. Just like taking a trip to the Blue Mountains is one of those things that you have to do, and I nearly fell down a mountain and died. But there we are. The weather really was lovely - not too hot, not to cool, and there wasn't a single cloud in the sky. I've now got a crappy-looking tan - only my face and lower arms are tanned, because I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. And I've got a watch-mark and Make Poverty History-mark on my left wrist. Classy.

There's not actually much to do in Gold Coast apart from bum around on the beach, go shopping, or go to a theme park. Therefore, I ended up bumming around on the beach - I must've walked up and down for around three or four hours. It was lovely, because it's winter and the beach had hardly any people on it - the only people there were Europeans and some psycho Aussie surfers. I kept on walking far too close to the water and getting soaked every time a big wave came in, but what's the point of being beside the sea if you don't get wet? It reminded me of those Norway reunions on the beach, and how they totally weren't like yesterday. The Australian seaside is nowhere near as cheesy as the British one, but I suppose that that's because Australia actually has good beaches, and you don't need to have lots of stuff on the side to distract you from how awful they are.

It's my last day in Brisbane today, and then I fly to Singapore for a couple of days to meet up with my dad and to stay with my Aunty Hui Suan. She married a very rich man and my Aunty Anne (from Essex) went to stay with her last summer, and came back saying that she had a huge palace of a house, so my father, old woman that he is, wants to check it out. After that, we'll spend a coule of days in his luxury condo in Kuching (the state capital of Sarawak), which he keeps for when he's up in Kuching to compete in triathlons. My final stop of this big walkabout will be a week-and-a-half in Sibu, where my parents grew up and where my father went back to work after living in England for so long. I can't wait for the food there - it's going to be top notch.

You know, I woke up this morning, and my first thought wasn't: "Oh, it's my last day in Brisbane." Oh no. It was: "Shit! Kevin Pietersen's probably going to score at least one century in the next three Tests, and I'm not going to be able to see any of it." And then I thought: "But then again, he'll need all the other batsmen to actually get good and support him, or else he'll be stranded on 60-something again." Finally, I thought: "Hang on, that was a really bizarre dream. Oh bollocks! I've started having my saving-the-world dreams again! I hope it's just because I was reading lots of Harry Potter. Apparating through time as well as space, Steph? Your subsconscious mind has some twisted genius."

I really am quite mad.

Comments:
No sale.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares